PREP Time20 Min.
Green Chile-Cheese Quinoa with Corn and Soy Chorizo
- 3 cups cooked Quinoa
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, or more as needed
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (10oz) Cacique® Soy Chorizo
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes with their juice
- 1 Mexican squash, diced
- 1 11oz can corn, drained (or (1) 10oz box frozen corn)
- 1 7oz can diced green chiles
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- ¾ Tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ Tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 package (10oz) Cacique® Queso Quesadilla, shredded
- Salt to taste
This hearty one-dish meal is so flavorful and laden with good things that youll hardly realize theres no meat in it. Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is a grain considered by the Incas as a sacred grain. Use Queso Quesadilla Jalapeño for an even spicier dish. Pass around Crema Mexicana at the table to drizzle on top of each serving.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9 X 13 baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the onion until translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes, add the garlic and sauté one more minute, dont let it burn. Push the onion and garlic to one side of the pan and add the chorizo, breaking it up as you cook. (If the pan is too dry, you may need to add another tablespoon of olive oil.) Cook soy chorizo and incorporate the onion and garlic, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, drained corn, chiles, squash, cilantro, cumin and pepper flakes to the skillet. Add the Quinoa and 1 cup of the shredded Queso Quesadilla, stirring gently to combine and just to heat through. Turn the whole mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Grease (or spray with cooking spray) the dull side of a piece of foil, to prevent the cheese from sticking, and cover the baking dish, greased side down. Bake until heated through, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove the foil and return to the oven for the cheese to brown a bit, serve and enjoy!