- 2 large poblano chiles
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 (16oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 package (12oz) Ranchero® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1 lime juice
- Salt and pepper
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- 2 (14oz) cans green enchilada sauce
- ½ package (10oz.) Cacique® Queso Quesadilla, shredded
For all the creaminess of the spinach filling, these hearty enchiladas taste bright and fresh with the smokiness of roast poblano, the buttery flavor of Ranchero® Queso Fresco and a shot of lime juice.
1. Preheat the oven at 400°F and grease a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
2. Roast the poblano chiles, by placing them on a baking sheet and placing them in the pre-heated oven until the skins are dark, 8 to 10 minutes, or by pressing them flat with a spatula in a cast-iron skillet over high heat, until each side is blackened. When the chiles are roasted, place them in a paper bag, fold it over, and set them aside to cool. After 10 minutes, slough off and discard the blackened skins, seeds, ribs and stems. Chop the roasted pepper flesh and set aside.
3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes, add the natural garlic and sauté one more minute, dont let the garlic burn. Add the thawed spinach and roasted poblano strips. Stir in the Crema Mexicana and heat through. Stir in the Ranchero® Queso Fresco and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Heat a dry skillet over medium heat and soften the tortillas by laying them in the skillet for a few seconds on each side. Pour 1 cup of the enchilada sauce in a shallow pie dish. Dip each tortilla in the sauce on each side, place on a dish and dollop a heaping spoonful of the spinach filling along the center. Roll and lay seam side down, in the prepared casserole. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
5. Spoon the remaining 2 cups enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the Queso Quesadilla. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.