When I became a mom, I never imagined the struggle I would encounter once my son was able to eat solid food. His palate was not exactly what I hoped for so I had to get creative in the kitchen in order for him to take at least one bite.
He’s always liked eggs, cheese and potatoes. Those have been the magic ingredients in just about everything in his menu. Now that he’s in school, I have no idea if he eats enough to get him through the day and keep him focused. I usually figure this out when he gets home and is cranky.
One of those kid-friendly meals that make their way into the lunch box on a weekly basis are these five cheese breakfast nests. I am guarantee an empty lunch box and a full belly when these are packed. Because they include kid-friendly ingredients: eggs, cheese and potatoes, I am able to add chopped vegetables such as broccoli, spinach and cauliflower. Any little bit helps.
If you are struggling with your children, prepare these as a breakfast, brunch or even a snack. They are small enough to pack in a lunch box, are full of flavor and veggies, and are so convenient, you don’t even need silverware to enjoy.
The recipe calls for minimal salt because Cacique® Four Quesos Blend Shredded Cheese and Cotija cheese are savory enough to give these tasty breakfasts nests the perfect flavor balance. Want to serve them to a group of adults? Add Cacique® beef, pork or soy chorizo and a few slices of Serrano peppers and you’ve got yourself a grown up version of this soon-to-be kid favorite.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Cooking spray
- 15 ounces frozen shredded hash browns, thawed (or 2 cups shredded gold Yukon potato)
- 1 cup Cacique® Four Quesos Blend Shredded Cheese
- 1/3 cup Cacique® Cotija Cheese, in large crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 8 eggs
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, Four Quesos Blend, olive oil, garlic salt and black pepper. Stir to incorporate all ingredients. Press 1/4 cup of hash brown mixture in each muffin cup, covering the surface and half way up the sides. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Decrease oven temperature to 350°F. In a large bowl whisk eggs and pour in each muffin tin. Sprinkle with broccoli florets and crumbled cotija. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from muffin tin. Serve warm or at room temperature.