Antojitos or “little cravings” are what Mexican street food is all about. Vendors line the sidewalks in popular intersections with their most coveted culinary creations. Whether they present themselves conducting business on stands, carts, tables, trucks, bicycles and sometimes on foot with a wicker basket by their side, they make themselves known. If the tantalizing aroma of sizzling carne asada tacos, freshly made masa or warm cinnamon sugar don’t reach your nose fast enough, the sound of their distinctive calls will catch your attention quickly and effectively.
Most Mexican street food is enjoyed on the go. Tacos, burritos, tortas and elotes among others, easily travel with a one-handed grasp as patrons make their way to school, work or back home after a fun night out. Other Mexican street food takes a little more time and patience to enjoy. Vendors that sell traditional dishes such as pozole, menudo, tostadas and birria, have a full-on restaurant set up in the middle of the sidewalk with fold-out tables and chairs. With condiments and fresh salsa on every table, your antojito is to be enjoyed accompanied by a medley of sounds that include car horns, lively music and busy people chatter.
One of my favorite antojito to enjoy in the busy streets are shredded turkey tostadas. Crunchy corn tostadas topped with avocado, shredded lettuce, onions, tomatoes and freshly crumbled Ranchero® Queso Fresco or Cotija cheese. Because I miss those times in Mexico, I decided to bring those colorful memories into my kitchen with readily available ingredients from Cacique in my local grocery store.
These tasty tostadas can be prepared with chicken, turkey, carnitas or shredded beef. It’s your choice. Add your favorite toppings and Ranchero® Queso Fresco and you’ll experience something delightfully delicious.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 pounds bone-in turkey thighs
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 10 corn tostadas
- 2 avocados, peeled and pits removed
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, sliced in rings
- 1 - 10 ounce Ranchero® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- your favorite salsa
- cilantro for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a large stock pot, place turkey, onion, garlic, salt and enough water to cover. Cook over medium heat, covered, until turkey falls off the bone and easily shreds with a fork; approximately 35-40 minutes.
- Set aside, let cool, drain and shred on a separate surface or plate, discard skin and bones.
- Spread avocado on tostada, top with shredded turkey, lettuce, onion, tomatoes and Ranchero® Queso Fresco. Serve with your favorite salsa and a sprinkle of cilantro.