My kids love chicken nuggets, but I wanted mine to be their favorite chicken nuggets. I suspected that if I combined chicken nuggets with cheese it would be a hit.
I didn’t want to fry them, but, rather, bake them to golden brown crispiness, giving them the added benefit of lower oil content.
Wow! They were a huge hit, bigger than even I had hoped, and I know I can use them both as a lunch or as a snack when they arrive home hungry from school.
You probably will notice there’s no salt added. The lovely Cotija cheese adds just the right touch of salt to the recipe. And I was so pleased to see how beautifully the Panela cheese softened to just the right consistency inside.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1/2 (10 oz) Cacique® Panela Cheese
- 1/8 cup sweet and spicy style mustard
- 1/4 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/3 cup Cacique® Cotija Cheese, Grated
- 3/4 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 2 chicken breasts
- Non-stick canola cooking spray
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Cut the Panela cheese semicircle into 1/4 inch slices, then turn them so the wider side is down and make a couple of cuts to create long, thin sticks. Set them apart.
- In a bowl, combine mustard, Crema Mexicana and milk. Mix well and set aside.
- Mix Cotija cheese and breadcrumbs together. Spread them on a plate and set them next to the mustard-cream sauce.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Cut chicken breast into 1 inch thick slices and then turn them so the wider dimension is facing up. Then, carefully, make a straight cut through the center of each making sure not to cut the ends, just the middle. Insert a piece of Panela cheese in the center hole of each chicken nugget.
- Spray baking sheets with the non-stick canola oil. Take one chicken nugget, carefully coat it with the mustard crema, then coat with the breadcrumbs and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until you finish with all the meat.
- Lightly spray the top of the chicken nuggets with more non-stick oil and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Let them cool down for 10 minutes.