Going to a football game is super fun. It’s exciting to watch the game in real time with the crowd going wild, cheering on your team (especially when they are winning). And of course hangin’ in the parking lot tailgating before the game is a blast too. But it is almost just as fun having everyone over to watch, in comfort, on the couch and that way I can make all my favorite foods too.
A big pot of soup is always a good idea. I like to make soup in the slow cooker early in the day and then it is ready to go by game time. This creamy black bean soup is perfect for a crowd. It is super easy to throw together, just put it all in the ingredients in the slow cooker and leave it to simmer away. It is vegetarian, but fortified with thick Crema Salvadoreña it is hearty and filling and satisfies even the biggest of meat lovers.
I like to make lots of garnishes like cheesy Cotija cornbread croutons, avocado slices, lime wedges, cilantro leaves, and extra cheese so everyone can make each bowl of soup their own.
Extra bonus if there is some leftover for lunch the next day!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound tomatoes, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 jalapenos, seeds removed if you’d like it less spicy, stemmed and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black beans
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 15 ounce container Crema Salvadoreña
- 5 ounces (half wheel) Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 avocado, sliced (for garnish)
- For the Cornbread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 5 ounces (half of a wheel) Cotija cheese, crumbled
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Heat oven to 375°F. Grease an 18 x 13-inch rimmed baking sheet. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk to break up any lumps. Break eggs into a large bowl and beat until smooth. Add melted butter, milk, and oil and whisk until smooth. Pour all dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Add cheese and fold into batter. Scrape batter onto prepared baking sheet and level until with a rubber spatula.
- Place in oven and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Increase heat to 425°F. Let cool on a wire rack about 20 minutes. Flip out onto a cutting board and cut into 1-inch squares. Return croutons to the baking sheet in a single layer (you may need to do this in batches). Bake at 425°F until toasted, about 20 minutes.
- Place onion, tomatoes, carrots, jalapenos, garlic, black beans (with their juice), broth, chili powder, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Add cilantro leaves and blend until smooth with a stick blender. If you don’t have a stick blender you can transfer it to a blender or just skip this step for a chunkier soup. Add crema and stir until smooth. Serve with avocado, crumbled cheese, and croutons.