I live almost 3000 miles away from my mom. I miss her homemade baked goods during our get-togethers the most. This is why, A few years ago, I promised myself I’d get in the kitchen and attempt to bake delicious desserts as a tribute to my mom.
I want my kids to hold special memories like I do of my mother’s baking because I still remember the first cake we baked together. The cake we baked looked like a simple cake, but it was far from that. I love my mom’s baking style! She thinks outside of the box always when it comes to ingredients. She is the motivation behind every thing I bake. This Mother’s day will be no different, as I create a special cake in her honor and perfect for Mother’s day brunch.
I tried many cake batters before finding the perfect twists for greatness. It’s deliciously sweet, easy to make and made with not your typical baking ingredients just like my mom’s desserts. My Blueberry Queso Fresco Crumble Cake is a perfect representation of my mother and I.
The ingredients may be simple but together they make a delicious cake. It’s with Cacique® Crema Mexicana that my Crumble Cake has a deliciously moist cake base. I knew this was a great substitute for milk because of its rich flavor and velvety consistency. The perfect crumble topping is made with crumbled Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco. The queso fresco offers a delicious soft texture to the crumble.
As I prepare this cake once again for my own mother’s day celebration, I’m happy I’ll have a little piece of baked goodness to represent my mom at our celebration. I know how excited my mom would be if I brought my Blueberry Queso Fresco Crumble Cake to her dessert table for Mother’s day brunch!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup of Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 stick of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 zest of a whole lemon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of crumbled Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter cold and diced
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 granulated sugar
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Spray your baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350F
- In a mixing bowl prepare cake batter, cream the room temperature butter and granulated sugar. Add vanilla extract, eggs, lemon zest and Cacique® Crema Mexicana and mix. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well combined. Gently fold in fresh blueberries and set bowl aside.
- In a food processor add flour, cold diced butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Pulse until pea-sized crumbs form.
- Add pea-sized crumbs to separate bowl and mix in crumbled Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco.
- Add cake batter to your baking dish. Spread until even. Top with Queso Fresco crumble until all is covered. Bake in the oven for 60-75mins or until topping is golden brown and cake poke comes out clean. Cool for at least 15mins before serving.