Back to school? We’ve got you covered! These Broccoli, Ham, and Cheese Pop Tarts filled with Cacique® Queso Quesadilla and Oaxaca Cheese make the most delicious and comforting meal or snack… for both children and adults. Serve them with pesto, salsa, ketchup, or any other sauce/condiment of your choice. They can easily be transported anywhere, and make a fun alternative to sandwiches.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 (9-inch) store-bought rolled pie crusts, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup Cacique® Queso Quesadilla, small cubed
- 1/3 cup Cacique® Oaxaca Cheese, small cubed
- 1/4 cup cubed ham
- 1/4 cup chopped broccoli, fresh or thawed
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten and mixed with 1 tablespoon of water
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Unroll both pie crusts on a floured surface according to the directions in the package. Equally divide each crust into fourths. Next, trim all edges to form rectangles. Use all the trimmings to make a ball of dough, roll out on a floured surface, and cut into 2 rectangles. You will end up with a total of 10 rectangles. Reserve.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cheeses, ham, and broccoli together. Using 1/4 cup as measure, scoop the mixture and place in the center of 5 of the rectangles. Make sure that there is at least a 1/2-inch border from the edges. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top of the mixture and also a bit of oregano and thyme.
- Brush the edges of the crust with the egg wash, then fold the empty side of the crust over the top of the filling. Pinch your fingers along the edges to seal and then use a fork to make marks all the way around. Transfer the pop tarts to the lined baking sheet and brush the top of the tarts with more egg wash. Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then rotate the baking sheet 180˚. Bake another 1-2 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden brown. Let cool for 5-10 minutes on the baking pan, then remove tart with a large spatula and serve by themselves or with a sauce or condiment of your choice (e.g. pesto, salsa, ketchup, etc). If desired, shred a bit of Queso Quesadilla and sprinkle on top of the pop tarts 1-2 minutes before removing from the oven, and then sprinkle a bit of the fresh herbs on top. Enjoy!