Fall is in the air, and during these cool autumn months I tend to make soup all the time. I love them creamy, hearty, or light and brothy. No matter how, soups are always a perfect way to warm up my soul. Something I really like about making soups is to serve them with toppings that compliment and elevate the eating experience. Tortilla chips, green onion, grated cheese, crema, and toasted bread are some of my favorites, just to name a few.
For this recipe I have come up with an awesome topping idea that goes perfectly with my traditional butternut squash soup. I make this soup all the time. Sometimes, I use chicken broth as the liquid in the recipe, and others I use crema to make the soup extra smooth. This time I’ve made the creamy version, and I have taken it up a notch with the addition of a cool cinnamon crema drizzle.
I made this cinnamon crema drizzle for the first time and it was a hit. I thought of the idea, because I love a touch of cinnamon in my butternut squash soup, but when we made a large batch for a group of friends my husband wanted the cinnamon out. The solution to this situation was to add the cinnamon to the crema and serve it as an optional side toping. Our guests were all intrigued, even my husband tried it and everyone went crazy for the cool layer of silky crema and cinnamon. A must try.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon honey
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Once broth is boiling, add squash and season with salt. Bring heat down to medium and cook squash covered for about 15-20 minutes, until squash is very tender.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the cinnamon crema topping. Do so by combining 1/2 cup of the crema, cinnamon and honey. Mix well and set aside.
- Puree squash, in a blender or food processor, with the broth as well as the remaining crema. Once blended smoothly serve soup warm and top it with a drizzle of the cool cinnamon crema.