Being a Latino living in the US, I have the great advantage of incorporating different flavors to a traditional Holiday dinner. Hanukkah recipes in my home always have an interesting twist.
This corn and cheese flan is an amazing dessert with unique flavors. It is both sweet with some salty undertones brought to you by the combination of Cacique® Ranchero® and Asadero Cheeses. Both have a mild and smooth flavor that is easy to grate and blends perfectly with caramel and corn. Plus this recipe is Gluten Free.
In Venezuela, cheesecake is not made with cream cheese. It is made with real salty grated cheese. I decided to combine a classical cheesecake with a flan. The result is a smooth and creamy dessert that is bursting with flavor.
Best of all, you don’t need to be an experienced cook to make this corn and cheese flan. Simply place all ingredients in the blender, pour in the cake mold and bake. I generally recommend this cake to chill for a minimum of 6 hours before unmolding. This allows the cake to set properly.
So make something other than the regular ol’ boring Holiday desserts. Who would have thought that yummy Cacique® cheeses could make a wonderful gluten free cake?
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 Cup of regular Milk
- 1 - 15 oz Can of Corn, drained
- 1 Can of Condensed Milk
- 3/4 Cup of grated Cacique® Asadero Cheese
- 3/4 Cup of crumbled Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco
- 5 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons of Butter, melted and cooled
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of Water
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat pour the sugar and water. Let the sugar boil until caramel forms, stir occasionally. Pour the caramel in 6 inch cake pan and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- In a blender, place the milk, condensed milk, cheeses, eggs, corn and butter. Blend on high speed until completely combined. Pour this mixture on top of the caramel. Cover the cake pan with foil.
- Bake on a double boiler with at least 1 inch of water for around 30-40 minutes. Flan should be firmer with a little jiggle. Remove from oven and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Cool overnight in the fridge or for a minimum of 6 hours. Unmold by running a knife from the edges of the flan then turn on to a plate. Enjoy!