Kids can be picky about vegetables. We won’t stop serving vegetables to them, of course, but we can be clever about it, can’t we? One easy way to get kids to eat their vegetables is to conceal them in foods they like.
My kids love cheese. They love it morning, noon, and night. So, cheesy dishes are perfect for concealing a bit of vegetable.
My kids love these cheesy mini-muffins so much, for example, I have to guard them until they’re ready to be served. They make for wonderful snacks on the go, too. From my perspective as a mom, they are perfect both because the kids love them and they come with delicious cheese and vegetables!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1/4 medium cauliflower
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup Cacique® Panela Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Cacique® Cotija Cheese, shredded
- 3 mini muffin trays
- Non-stick cooking spray
- For the Honey Mustard Crema:
- 4 tablespoons Cacique® Crema Agria
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Separate the cauliflower florets, wash and set apart. Wash, peel and cut the carrots into 1 inch chunks. Pour the water into a steamer and add the cauliflower and carrot and steam 10-12 minutes until soft but not mushy. Remove
- Pre-heat oven to 425 F.
- Puree the vegetables in a food processor, adding water if necessary until you get a firm puree.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sea salt, and baking powder, mix well. In another bowl beat the egg for a few seconds, add milk and butter, then mix well. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Incorporate the carrot and cauliflower puree, Panela and Cotija cheeses. Mix well. Spray muffin molds with non-stick cooking spray and pour 1 tablespoon of batter into each muffin mold. Bake 12-15 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out dry after inserting it into the center of a muffin. Let them cool down for a couple of minutes and remove muffins from the trays.
- Meanwhile prepare the crema by mixing all the ingredients, Crema Agria, mayonnaise, mustard and honey until smooth. Serve the muffins warm and use the crema as a lovely dipping sauce.