I grew up spending summers on my grandparent’s farm, playing and exploring from sun up to sun down. I also spent time in their many gardens walking through the rows, picking fresh vegetables, and eating them right there on the spot. I genuinely enjoyed riding on the tractor with my grandfather, something that I could never imagine doing today (kinda the same way we didn’t wear bike helmets back then but are a must now). He has a degree in agriculture so I was able to learn some valuable gardening skills that I use to this very day.
Fast forward to now. I still spend my whole summer in the garden except it’s my own. I love creating light and fresh recipes that use my homegrown veggies since it’s too hot to even turn on the stove.
I enjoy growing heirloom varieties of lettuce, tomatoes, and corn but thankfully farmers markets are popping up everywhere giving us all a chance at homegrown goodness.
For this salad, I simply picked up a rotisserie chicken and all of my favorite toppings. The dressing is made with fresh cilantro, a little garlic, and a squeeze of lime. To add a touch of richness, I used Cacique® Crema Mexicana as well as Cacique® Queso Fresco for extra flavor.
The best part about this dressing is that it can be made ahead of time and stored in a glass jar to use for the coming week. With such busy schedules, having a quick and easy meal on hand is definitely a must!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 cup mixed salad greens such as baby red and green lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup of corn kernels
- ¼ avocado, diced
- ¼ rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- ¼ cup Cacique® Queso Fresco
- For the Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 4 ounces of Cacique® Queso Fresco
- ½ bunch cilantro
- ½ fresh lime
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ jalapeño pepper, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In the bowl of a food processor, add Cacique® Crema Mexicana, Cacique® Queso Fresco, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, lime juice, and red wine vinegar. Pulse until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Add the lettuce to a bowl along with desired toppings. Serve with Cilantro Lime Dressing and extra Cacique® Queso Fresco cheese.