Many people start the new year with many plans. But one of the most common goals is to eat better. The easiest ways to ensure that one achieves a healthy lifestyle is to consume more vegetables. What better way to do that than to prepare a delicious salad? One of my favorites is the Taco Salad.
As the name suggests, it is like eating a delicious crunchy taco. The ingredients can vary depending on your likes. My preference is to prepare it with grilled chicken. Although, it also goes very well grilled steak. To make this, select an organic chicken breast and marinate it ahead of time for about 12 hours with your favorite taco seasoning.
If you prefer, you can create your own taco seasoning by mixing equal parts (about 1/2 spoon) chili powder, ground cumin, sea salt, ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder.
Once it has soaked up some serious flavor, put them on the grill until cooked thoroughly, and golden brown. The chicken can be served hot or cold. As a dressing, I like to make my own dressing combining Cacique® Crema Salvadoreña and readily available ranch dressing powder mix.
The best thing about this dish is that you don’t have to be an expert cook and it is the perfect lunch for busy days.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 8 ounces canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Cacique® Dos Quesos Blend
- ½ cup of your favorite salsa (homemade or store bought)
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Salvadoreña
- 1 oz Ranch dressing powder mix
- Corn tostada strips for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Combine the first 10 ingredients in a large sealable plastic bag. Shake and press bagged chicken with your fingers to season evenly. Place in refrigerator and marinate overnight.
- Heat grill pan over medium heat. Place chicken breasts on hot grill pan until cooked thoroughly and chicken is no longer pink. Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 5-7 minutes and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Whisk together Cacique® Crema Salvadoreña and Ranch dressing powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- To assemble: Toss to combine chopped lettuce, tomatoes, beans, avocado, chicken, salsa, and Dos Quesos Blend. Serve with dressing and garnish with tostada strips and lime wedges.