The Day of the Dead is November 1 and since I want to honor my mom, I decided to prepare her favorite dish, a Chile Poblano Cream Soup made with roasted poblano peppers, sweet corn and the authentic flavors of Cacique® Queso Fresco and Cacique® Crema Mexicana.
In Mexican culture, we aren’t afraid of death. We celebrate it to honor our beloved ones with a party and a feast. The Día de Muertos tradition is an example of that as it celebrates those souls that have passed. A day before the celebration the women in the family will cook the dishes that were the fa-vorite meals of the deceased to honor them.
The entire family will set up an altar in the main entrance of the house, decorate it with cempasúchil flowers, sugar skulls, papel picado, candles and bread. On this altar is where the offering of the food is placed. It is believed that the souls will come at night and will eat the food offered. The following day the entire family will reunite around the altar and will enjoy the food that was left over.
I love to share my culture and Mexican traditions with my family here in the United States. For that reason we set up the altar to honor our beloved ones that have passed. This year will include my mom’s favorite: Chile Poblano Cream Soup. Learn how to make this soup. It is very easy to prepare and so creamy. I particularly like to use Cacique® products since those provide the authentic flavor I am looking for when cooking my Mexican cuisine favorites.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 6 roasted chile poblanos, peeled, seeded and deveined
- 2 cups of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup of Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 4 cups of water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups of cooked sweet corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch diluted with 1/4 of a cup of water
- 2 cups of crumbled Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco, crumbled (for garnish)
- 1 cup of Cacique® Crema Mexicana (for garnish)
- 4 corn tortillas julienned and fried (for garnish)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Roast poblanos over an open flame. Place chile in a plastic bag and set aside to steam. Remove the peel over a stream of running water. Remove stems and seeds.
- Combine poblanos in a blender container, add evaporated milk, Cacique® Crema Mexicana and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan.
- Add water and season with the chicken bouillon. Let the soup simmer and add the sweet corn kernels. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. When the soup comes to a boil add the diluted cornstarch and stir with a spoon or a whisk. The cornstarch will thicken the soup.
- Serve the soup hot and garnish with fried corn tortilla strips, crumbles of Cacique® Queso Fresco and a drizzle Cacique® Crema Mexicana.