It’s that time of year again. It’s the season of colder weather and delicious comfort foods for holidays. This delicious recipe celebrates Thanksgiving’s harvest and highlights a Mexican staple, corn, to create a wonderful new side dish for your holiday table. It features a Cacique® two-cheese corn bread and chipotle honey roasted Brussels sprouts. Wouldn’t you just love to serve this at your next holiday feast?
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- ½ cup cornmeal, medium grind
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups Cacique® Enchilado cheese, grated, divided
- 1 ½ cups Cacique® Quesadilla cheese, grated, divided
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, seeded
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- Olive oil pan spray
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, ½ teaspoon salt. Slowly fold in buttermilk, melted butter, egg and 1 cup each of the grated Cacique® cheeses. Mix to combine.
- Pour into a greased 3 ½ x 7 ½ “ loaf pan and bake for 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and cornbread is golden. Allow cornbread to cool for 5 minutes, and then tear into large chunks. Set aside.
- Rinse Brussels sprouts. Trim off the rough bottoms and any blemished outer leaves and cut into halves. Place into a large mixing bowl. In a blender, combine chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, honey and water. Puree. Pour over Brussels sprouts and toss with a spoon to combine.
- Spray a large baking sheet with pan spray and turn Brussels sprouts onto sheet. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove Brussels sprouts from oven and preheat broiler. (If broiler is preset higher than 500˚, set oven rack one notch lower to prevent burning).
- Spread cornbread croutons on top of Brussels sprouts and broil for 3 minutes or until golden. Turn baking sheet halfway through for even browning. Top cornbread and Brussels sprout mixture with remaining ½ cup each of Cacique® cheeses and continue broiling another 2 minutes or until cheese has melted and turned golden. Serve immediately.