I love risottos and I love the smoky flavor that chipotle provides to any dish. And this chipotle risotto with Crema Mexicana combines both. The rice is prepared the Italian way: doubling the amount of liquid, in this case beef broth, and adding an ingredient that brings flavor and color, in this case pickled chipotles (instead of asparagus, porcini or Portobello mushrooms, sundried tomatoes or salmon).
Instead of using Arborio rice as the Italians do, this risotto is prepared with Valencia rice, a short and pearled grain that contributes to the creaminess of the dish. To balance the hotness of the chipotle, I added Cacique® Crema Mexicana, which also helps to make the risotto creamier. When serving, I sprinkled with grated Cacique® Cotija cheese (instead of Parmesan or Romano cheeses) and with fresh cilantro (instead of parsley). The result is a successful fusion of Italian techniques with our ingredients and flavors.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup Valencia rice
- ½ cup pickled chipotle julienned
- 4-5 cups beef broth
- ½ cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- ¼ cup Cacique® Cotija cheese grated plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a deep skillet over medium heat, add the butter to melt, add the onion and sauté until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Add rice and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the chipotle and stir.
- Add the broth, one cup at a time, and cook uncovered over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced more than half. Add another cup of broth and cook until the liquid is reduced more than half and repeat this procedure until the rice is al dente and has a creamy consistency.
- Add the Cacique® Crema Mexicana and the Cotija cheese and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Serve with a sprinkle of Cotija cheese and cilantro