A family-style dessert is always the way to go during the hectic holiday feast preparations. With only a few ingredients and just an hour to bake, this chocolate and cinnamon bread pudding will be the star of your dessert table this holiday season.
Not only is this dessert hearty and decadent, but it is also a great way to use up any leftover bread and staple ingredients in your pantry. Bread puddings can be sweet or savory. Because Cacique® Crema Mexicana is neutral and mild in flavor, it is the perfect base ingredient for sweet or savory dishes.
This holiday season, simplify your time in the kitchen and spend more of it with your family. With this quick recipe that feeds your entire family, you will be cutting your cooking time in half, the best gift anyone can ask for.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices Italian bread, brioche or good quality white bread, sliced in ¼-inch slices
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 container Cacique® Crema Mexicana, divided
- 1 ¼ cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces bitter sweet chocolate, chopped
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 325° F.
- Spread butter on one side of each bread slice. Cut each slice in four pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, and brown sugar. Add 1 ½ cups crema, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt, whisking to thoroughly combine.
- Arrange half the bread pieces as a single layer in a 9x13 oven safe dish. Sprinkle half the chocolate over first bread layer. Repeat with second layer, sprinkling remaining chocolate. Pour custard over bread, pressing bread gently to make sure custard is soaked up.
- Bake for 1 hour or until custard is set and bread is springy to the touch. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve and drizzle with remaining crema.