Traditional cornbread has always been a staple at our Thanksgiving table. I have never really been cornbread recipe loyal and over the years I have tweaked the original recipe to make it more flavorful. This Chorizo Cornbread Casserole recipe is a labor of love that was adapted from my mom’s, aunts’ and grandmother’s recipes. They have all helped contribute to the sweet and moist cornbread flavors and adding a bit of chorizo and queso fresco to the dish makes it even more filling and delicious.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1-cup cornmeal
- 1-cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5-tablespoons sugar
- 1/4-teaspoon salt
- 1/2-teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tube Cacique® Beef Chorizo
- 1 Cup frozen or fresh sweet corn
- 1 cup Ranchero® Queso Fresco crumbled
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, butter and buttermilk. Slowly pour the buttermilk mixture onto the cornmeal mixture, folding it together. The batter should be lumpy. Set aside batter and let rest for about 5 minutes.
- In the mean time cook the Cacique® Beef Chorizo in a cold skillet on medium/high heat stirring constantly to cook evenly. Slowly add in corn until warmed and chorizo is cooked about 4 minutes.
- Pour half the cornbread batter into the prepared baking dish. Evenly layer cooked chorizo and corn mixture over batter. Take crumbled Ranchero® Queso Fresco and evenly layer over chorizo mixture. Add remainder of the cornbread batter over top.
- Bake chorizo cornbread casserole until the top is golden brown and cornbread casserole is thoroughly cooked, about 40 minutes. Remove the cornbread from the oven and let it cool before serving.