Between sports, school and meetings, getting dinner on the table can sometimes be a challenge in my house. So I am always looking for easy, nutritious and delicious meals for those nights when everyone seems to be on a different schedule and I need something that’s quick, tasty and filling to hand them as they head out the door.
Pizzas and flatbreads are huge favorites in my house and this Chorizo Flatbread with Queso Fresco and Tomato Salad is not only easy but delicious – and the fact that it’s loaded with vegetables is a bonus! A simple combination of Cacique® Beef Chorizo, onions, bell peppers and tomatoes makes a fresh and spicy topping for store bought or homemade pizza dough. A sprinkling of Cacique’s Ranchero® Queso Fresco provides the perfect amount of cheesiness and the tomato salad provides a fresh crunch that goes perfectly with the spicy chorizo!
You can make and bake these Chorizo and Queso Flatbreads ahead and freeze them for quick meals too – just take them out of the freezer and bake for 5 – 8 minutes and top with the Queso Fresco and Tomato Salad. Definitely quicker than delivery pizza!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 lbs. prepared pizza dough
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 – 14.5 oz. canned diced tomatoes, drained well
- 1 – 9 oz. package Cacique® Beef Chorizo sausage
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 package Ranchero® Queso Fresco
- 1/4 head romaine, washed and torn into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Remove pizza dough from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Pre heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add the onions, peppers and parsley to a food processor and pulse until chopped into pieces about 1/4 inch big. Add the tomatoes and pulse until chopped. Transfer into a large bowl and add the chorizo and tomato paste. Using your hands, mix in the chorizo and tomato paste until well incorporated.
- Divide the pizza dough into 8 pieces. Roll out each piece into an 8 inch round and transfer to a parchment lined cookie sheet. Top each pizza round with 1/3 cup of the chorizo mixture. Spread mixture over the pizza dough in a thin layer.
- Place the flatbreads in the oven and bake for 10 – 12 minutes until chorizo is cooked and browned on the top. While the flatbreads are cooking, toss the romaine and tomatoes with the olive oil and lime juice, seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove flatbreads from the oven and top with crumbled queso fresco and the romaine salad.