It’s almost back to school time -an event that strikes terror or fear into a parent’s heart. The long, lazy days of summer are coming to a close, which means the return to schedules. Band practice, soccer practice and back to school nights… oh, and dinner in there somewhere, right?
For those nights when time is tight, I turn to make ahead recipes like this Chorizo Shepherd’s Pie. Made with Cacique’s Beef Chorizo, Ranchero® Crema Natural and Manchego Cheese. I can make this Chorizo Shepherd’s Pie in the morning, ready to pop in the oven. One of my “secrets” to getting meals on the table quickly is using Cacique® products. They are so full of flavor that I can make quick and delicious meals with only a few ingredients, a definite time saver on busy nights!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 pound lean (10% fat) ground beef
- One 9 oz. package Cacique® Beef Chorizo
- 2 cups diced onions (1/2 inch dice)
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup low sodium beef stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Maggi seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- One 24 oz. package of frozen steam and mash potatoes, prepared according to the manufacturer’s directions (or 2 lbs. russet potatoes boiled and mashed)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Cacique® Ranchero® Crema Natural
- 1/2 cup grated Cacique® Manchego cheese
HOW TO MAKE IT
- If making just prior to serving, pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the beef chorizo and crumble with a spatula. Once the fat has begun to render, add the onions and the ground beef. Cook until the ground beef is cooked through and the onions are tender - about 5 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, defrost the frozen potatoes in the microwave if using.
- Sprinkle the 3 Tablespoons of flour over the meat and onions, stirring to incorporate. Cook for 2 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken. Add 1 cup of beef stock, stirring to combine. Increase the heat to high and cook until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons of Maggi seasoning and the black pepper. Stir to thoroughly combine. Cook for 1 more minute. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more pepper and salt if desired. Stir in the frozen peas and carrots.
- Prepare the potatoes. Add the butter and salt to the potatoes and stir to combine. Add the Ranchero® Crema Natural and stir to combine. Fold in the grated Manchego cheese.
- Transfer the meat mixture to an 8 x 8 casserole dish or to a 9 inch pie plate. Dollop the mashed potato mixture on top smoothing to cover the meat. Using a fork, drag the tines of the fork through the mashed potatoes.
- If cooking immediately, transfer the casserole to the oven and bake, uncovered for 20 minutes or until the pie is heated through. If making ahead, cover the casserole with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to baking. Place the casserole in a pre-heated 350 degree oven and bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until the pie is heated through. To brown the top even further, place under the broiler for 3 - 4 minutes.