Have you ever made crackers at home? You would be surprised at how easy they are to prepare. Kick the store bought box of crackers to the curb and start making your own with just a few ingredients and grated Cacique® Queso Cotija.
These bite-size whole wheat crackers are the perfect lunch and office snack. They go great with your afternoon tea or a light snack with chunks of Cacique® Queso Oaxaca and slices of ham for a mid-day craving.
For a dipping snack, use a large cookie cutter or cut the rolled-out dough into large squares when prepping. You’ll be able to turn these crackers into crisps and serve them with hummus, tapenade or guacamole.
The shredded Cotija cheese gives these crackers the last touch of savory to balance out the sweetness from the sugar and paprika spice. It’s fun cracker to eat and bake with your loved ones.
i>Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup Cacique® Queso Cotija Grated Cheese
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and paprika; whisk until all dry ingredients have mixed well. Add butter and ¼ cup water and mix with a hand mixer until butter is mixed and chopped into small beads. Add the remaining ¼ cup water, vanilla and cheese and mix with hands until dough is smooth. Wet hands and knead if dough dries up.
- Roll out dough to 1/16-inch thick. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out 45-50 cookies from dough and gently poke with a small straw to make eyes and nose. Arrange cookie cutouts on parchment paper-lined trays.
- Bake crackers, one tray at a time 7-10 minutes or until they begin to slightly brown. Remove tray from oven and let cookies cool for 10 minutes. Enjoy or store in airtight sealed bag or container.