Finally September is upon us, and all the ruckus of back to school is starting to settle and Fall is threatening to make its way back into our lives. September represents a lot of different things: Hispanic Heritage Month, the month of the Virgo, baseball coming to an end, and start of the football season. Here is what I’d like to focus on… September is National Mushroom Month. I believe it is time to celebrate the hongo big, whether you make mushroom empanadas, mushroom sopes, or a mushroom pizza, as long as you’re eating mushrooms.
Mushrooms are so good for you and are packed with Vitamin D! Did you know if you place a bowl of mushrooms outside in the sun for 10 minutes before consuming they will give you all the vitamin D you need for that day? How amazing is that? Let’s celebrate the mushroom month with this delicious soup. It is beyond tasty and I blame Cacique’s Crema Mexicana for elevating this soup to its creamy level of nirvana. One bite in and you will never eat a cream of mushroom out of the can again. Oh, and you’ll seriously not believe how incredible the crumbled Cotija stands out and compliments the mellow mushroom so well in this creamy soupy delight. Don’t wait around grab some mushrooms and Cacique® today and get to making soup!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4 – tablespoons butter
- 1 – small onion (cut into chunks)
- 32 – oz. mushrooms (sliced)
- 8 – sprigs of green onion (sliced)
- 1 – tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 – cups chicken or vegetable broth
- a pinch of oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 – cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 4 – tablespoons Cacique® Grated Queso Cotija
- olive oil to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a large pot over a medium flame add in butter to melt. Add in onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add in sliced mushrooms, green onion, and garlic. Saute for 10 minutes. Add in broth, oregano, salt and pepper. Allow broth to come to a boil.
- Place soup in a blender and add Crema to the blender as well. You may have to do this step in two portions depending on your blender size. Blend until smooth.
- Place creamy mushroom soup (already blended) back into the pot and allow it to come to a boil again.
- Serve hot , then drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the top of each bowl of soup. Place a tablespoon of grated Queso Cotija in the center of the bowl.