Recently I had the opportunity to have a fun brunch with my mom at a trendy Beverly Hills French café. When presented with the menu, my eyes were immediately drawn to a croissant sandwich topped with a poached egg. The sandwich was encrusted with cheese, sprinkled with parsley and served with a side of fruit. The experience was lovely and delicious.
My mind began to spin its wheels on how I could re-create this tasty brunch at home with my own Latin twist. I love using Cacique’s Queso Cotija shredded cheese to encrust my grilled cheese sandwiches, so I figured why not encrust the flaky croissant to give my brunch a savory taste? The flavor isn’t powerful but a great complement to the creaminess of the busted egg yolk of the fried egg.
Our home brunch was a raving success. Not only was I able to recreate a fancy sandwich at home but a fancy sandwich that everyone, even those family members with discriminatory taste, loved.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 croissant bread, sliced in half
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cacique® Queso Cotija shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh parsley, finely diced
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- fresh berries or fruit side of your choice
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven or toaster oven 325° F.
- Carefully sprinkle Cotija on sliced sides of croissant bread. Place on a baking tray and bake for 7 minutes or until Cotija has slightly softened and is beginning to brown.
- On a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Crack egg on hot oil and fry for 2 minutes. Turn egg over and fry for 1 minute more.
- Remove bread slices from the oven and place on a serving plate. Place egg over bottom side of crusted Cotija croissant bread. Sprinkle egg with parsley, black pepper and top with the other slice of bread.
- Serve with a side of berries or you favorite fruit.