I’ve always refrained from making crepes because I’ve been under the impression that one needs a special crepe griddle and batter spreader to obtain that perfectly thin pancake this French treat is known for.
This Mother’s Day, I wanted to surprise my mom with her favorite dessert but I wasn’t about to spend the money and shopping time on such. So instead, I decided to develop and test a crepe batter recipe. I practiced, practiced, practiced my crepe-making skills with a good ol’ non-stick skillet and a quick swirl of the hand to evenly cook the batter to golden perfection.
With Cacique® Crema Mexicana, I was able to create some of the best crepes I’ve ever tasted. Topped with sweet and chunky strawberry pieces, chopped pecans and a drizzle of dulce de leche or cajeta, my Mother’s Day brunch plan slowly began to take shape.
Served as part of a casual brunch menu or an elegant dessert ending to a romantic dinner, you can’t go wrong with how impressive these delicacies look to your guests. Accompany them with your choice of various spreads, nuts and fresh fruit toppings for a fun crepe party, and don’t forget to compliment the sweetness with piping hot strong black coffee.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, quartered
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup dulce de leche
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a large bowl combine sifted flour and sugar.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, crema Mexicana and vanilla. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly whisk dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Allow to stand for 20 minutes.
- Cook crepes in a medium non-stick pan over medium heat. Heat until light golden on each side. Fold each crepe in fourths and arrange on a serving platter. Top with strawberries, pecans, dulce de leche and confectioner’s sugar. Serve warm.