We have a meal on a plate for you. This delicious enchilada breakfast casserole will be the hit of the party. When you combine authentic Mexican chorizo, creamy cheeses and spices you get this incredible savory base for anything you add to it. We made this for Sunday brunch, but there’s no reason you can’t serve this recipe for dinner parties, or even a week night dinner with the family.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 large russet potatoes, chopped into squares
- 1 9oz. CaciqueⓇ Soy Chorizo
- 1 cup onion (about 1 medium onion), diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 18 large eggs
- ⅓ cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ All-spice
- 1 28 oz. can enchilada sauce
- 1 10oz Cacique® Oaxaca, shredded
- 1 10oz Cacique® Queso Quesadilla Jalapeno
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and sliced
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Bring 5 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepot. Add breakfast potatoes and cook until fork tender, about 7-9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In large skillet, over medium high heat, add chorizo, cook until browned about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring to break up any clumps. Add onions and bell pepper, cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer chorizo mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat oven 350 F.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk and spices. Heat a non-stick skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add egg mixture to a large skillet and cook over medium heat. Stir and cook until scrambled eggs are set.
- Combine the egg mixture into the bowl with the chorizo mixture, fold to combine. Add all but 1 cup of enchilada sauce and stir to combine. Spread ½ cup of enchilada sauce onto bottom of a 9x13-inch casserole pan. Layer with 6 corn tortillas followed by half of the chorizo and egg mixture, then top with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat one more time.
- Transfer casserole to heated oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and set aside to for 10 minutes prior to cutting. When ready to serve, top with green onions, cilantro and jalapenos.