Enfrijoladas are one of the simplest and delicious Mexican dishes that easily appeals to children and adults alike. Typically, enfrijoladas are made with black beans, a hint of fresh epazote and a sprinkle of queso fresco. For this recipe, I decided to look into my pantry and use fewer ingredients for a quick, last minute meal.
Pinto beans are a staple in my refrigerator. I usually make a big pot of beans on the weekends and it will last me throughout the week. Because I had plenty, I decided to make pinto bean enfrijolada sauce. I knew that the mixture of blended beans, Cacique® Crema Mexicana and a spicy Queso Quesadilla Jalapeño would be the perfect combination for an effortless meal.
My family loved it. It’s kid-friendly and perfect as a meatless option. The pinto bean sauce is so versatile, it can be served with chips, over lightly fried tortillas as chilaquiles option, or can be poured over eggs and salsa. For an even simpler version, arrange warm corn tortillas folded in half in a casserole dish and pour this tasty bean sauce over. Top with cheese and warm in the oven for 10-12 minutes or long enough for cheese to melt. Top with onion rounds and crema and serve.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 1/2 cups cooked and seasoned pinto beans
- 3/4 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup Cacique® Queso Quesadilla Jalapeño, shredded
- 1 small onion, sliced in rounds
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Combine beans and Cacique® Crema Mexicana in a blender container. Blend until smooth.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over low medium heat. Pour in blended beans and stir.
- Heat a skillet or comal over medium high heat. Warm tortillas one by one then dipping in bean mixture. Place dipped tortilla on a large plate and sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons Cacique® Quesadilla Jalapeno. Fold twice in fourths and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve and garnish with onion rounds and a drizzle of Cacique® Crema Mexicana.