A mosaic summer salad with watermelon, kiwi fruit and Ranchero® Queso Fresco drizzled with a slightly spicy strawberry coulis is the perfect refreshing dish that can be served as an appetizer, salad course or a light meal. With barely any cooking involved, this fresh and fruity mosaic salad is easy to assemble in no time—you can even swap the watermelon and kiwi for other fruits to switch things up to give your menu some variety. The coulis can be made well in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to a few days.
If you want to serve this dish as an appetizer, buffet dish or passed appetizer at a patio party, you can skewer the fruit and cheese cubes on cocktail picks and instead of drizzling the strawberry coulis, serve it as a dipping sauce on the side. The strawberry coulis is infused with jalapeño chile rather than having it blended in, so it gives a subtle spicy flavor with just a little kick of heat. If you don’t like spicy foods or you have guests who don’t, you can leave out the jalapeño. I like to use a plastic chef’s drizzler squeeze bottle for drizzling the coulis, which you can usually find at any cooking supply store for a few dollars. If you don’t have one, you can also use a spoon or a small measuring cup with a little spout.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 cups cubed watermelon
- 2-3 kiwi fruits, peeled and cubed
- 5 ounces Ranchero® Queso Fresco, cubed
- For the strawberry jalapeño Coulis topping:
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries (unsweetened)
- 1/2 a jalapeño chile, stem and seeds removed
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Bring sugar and water to a light boil over medium heat and stir to dissolve the sugar completely. Add the 1/2 cup frozen strawberries and cook for a few minutes to soften the strawberries but not so much so that they become mushy. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes.
- Add sugar and strawberry mixture to the blender and blend until completely smooth. Transfer to an airtight container, tuck the halved jalapeño into the coulis until it’s completely submerged and cover. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Cube watermelon, kiwi and Ranchero® Queso Fresco. Arrange on a serving platter or individual dishes alternating watermelon, kiwi and cheese. Drizzle strawberry jalapeño coulis over the top of the mosaic with a spoon, small measuring cup or a plastic drizzler squeeze bottle.