If you’ve never tried sopes before, you are truly missing out. Sopes are delectable single-serving-sized savory Mexican corn cakes. They are made with a concave center so they’re perfect for filling with shredded meats, veggies, cheese, eggs, beans, or whatever tasty fillings you happen to have on hand. My kids love sopes so much they would happily eat them for all three meals of the day.
Many people make their own sopes, but I like the ease of these Cacique® sopes, which are perfect every time. To preheat them, you can bake them in the oven, fry them in a pan, or even just pop them in the toaster to get that perfect crisp-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside texture.
Whenever I make sopes, I try to fill them with foods that are brightly colored so that each one looks like a little work of art. You can stack them as high as you like, if you don’t mind a little messiness (all in the name of good food, right?). For extra green on these sopes, add a slice or two of fresh avocado.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless chicken thigh pieces (approximately 6 pieces)
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1 7-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 6 Cacique® sopes
- 1 large Pasilla chile pepper, roasted, peeled, and sliced
- 1/2 wheel crumbled Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco cheese
- 1/2 cup chile verde salsa
- 1 large bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a large cast-iron pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Add the crushed tomatoes and green chilies to the pan and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover and continue simmering on low heat for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked through and is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the sopes: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray each sope on top and on bottom with a thin layer of cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes until warm and crispy.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce and shred it by pulling it apart on a cutting board. Divide the chicken evenly and place on top of the heated sopes.
- Top each of the sopes evenly with roasted pepper, Queso Fresco, chile verde salsa, and cilantro. Drizzle Crema Mexicana on top. Serve immediately. Serves 4 to 6.