“What’s for dinner?” is the question we all answer every night. And let’s face it, sometimes it’s easier to solve the dinner dilemma than others.
For starters, there are a lot of factors – and by factors, I mean opinions – on what a quick and convenient weeknight meal should be.
And all those opinions are great, right? Variety is the spice of life, right? Not after a long day when you just need
a glass of wine to get dinner on the table. Opinions become the uninvited guest.
Truth be told, the only opinion that matters come dinner time is the opinion of the person preparing the meal. Maybe the person doing the dishes can have a little say. Within reason of course.
So it must be a coincidence that the person who usually makes dinner is also the one who wants to make sure everyone is happy. And around my house, happy translates to Green Chili and Chicken Lasagna.
Now I know lasagna doesn’t usually come across as a quick and convenient weeknight meal. It’s actually just the opposite. You put a lasagna on the table and people think it’s a special occasion. Especially when you reveal to them that this is no ordinary lasagna.
This Green Chili and Chicken Lasagna has just enough spice from the green chilies to make Grandma sit up in her seat. Layer after glorious layer of melting Cacique® cheeses, buttery Cacique® Crema Mexicana and chicken will have everyone calling for seconds.
Dinner dilemma solved.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 cups shredded Cacique® Queso Quesadilla Jalapeno
- 1 cup shredded Cacique® Mozzarella
- 15 oz container Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 10 oz can fire roasted green chilies
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12-16 no-boil lasagna noodles
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 375(F).
- In a bowl, season shredded chicken with cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir in fire roasted green chilies, salsa verde and one cup of the Queso Quesadilla Jalapeno. Combine well.
- In the bottom of a baking dish, spread a small amount of the chili-chicken mixture.
- Top with layer of lasagna noodles. Spread with another layer of the chicken mixture. Spoon or pour Crema Mexicana over the entire layer, paying close attention not to skimp around the edges. Top with a layer of shredded Mozzarella and Queso Quesadilla Jalapeno.
- Continue building casserole alternating between layers of lasagna noodles, green chili-chicken mixture, Crema Mexicana and shredded cheeses.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 375(F) oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking another 5-10 minutes until cheese on top has melted and the entire casserole is bubbling and hot. Allow the casserole to rest 5 minutes before serving.