You cannot say Father’s Day, and grilling without combining the two as they are the perfect fit; like the ingredients in this recipe. This year why not surprise Dad by taking over the grill by serving up this recipe for Grilled Poblano Peppers with Chorizo, Chicken, and Chipotle Cream.
Grilled Poblano peppers have to be one of my favorite summer ingredients. I remember the first time I cooked with them, I wasn’t sure what to do. Do I chop it up? Add it to a salad or sauce? Then it hit me if we stuff bell peppers why not a Poblano. Gradually the recipes evolved with ingredients and from the oven to the grill. I love the charred outside of the peppers from grilling as well as the nice smoky flavor. Doesn’t that sound like Dad would enjoy too?
I went crazy on flavor with this recipe as there were so many great options when using Cacique® products. The base of this recipe is ground chicken thighs and Cacique® Pork Chorizo, along with some onions and garlic. I loved working with this chorizo as it had a great texture and the flavor was mildly spicy, the perfect balance with the slightly spicy poblano. Now, I am sure Dad would be fine with a meat-heavy grilled poblano but I added some fresh corn as well as black beans as well as a heavy hand of cilantro. Of course, I didn’t stop there, so I grated Cotija into the filling just before stuffing each pepper. Cotija melted just enough to add more flavor but held up to the heat as well. The finishing touch was a hearty drizzle of Ranchero® Crema Con Sal that I mixed with chipotle paste.
The only other thing that could possibly make Dad happy after enjoying these outrageous grilled peppers is probably a nap.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 8 medium poblano peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 4 ounces Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 cup corn kernels (1 large ear corn)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 5 ounces Cacique® Queso Cotija Grated Cheese
- 1 cup Cacique® Ranchero® Crema Con Sal
- 1 tablespoon chipotle paste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat the grill to 350. Mix the Cacique® Ranchero® Crema Con Sal with the chipotle paste. Set aside.
- In a large flying pan heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, stir and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chorizo and chicken to the frying pan along with the onions. Stir breaking up the meat and cook over medium low heat until crumbly; about 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the stove and let cool for 5 minutes. Stir the beans, corn and cilantro into the meat mixture and set aside to cool.
- Remove a small portion of the top of the pepper, and scoop out the seeds. Set aside.
- Stir the cheese into the cooled meat mixture, then stuff each pepper. Really get the filling into each pepper, don't worry about over stuffing a little as the mixture shrinks down a bit when grilling.
- Place the peppers on the grill and cover with the lid. Grilled until lightly charred and warmed throughout - the cheese will be slightly melty as well. This step will take about 6 - 9 minutes depending on how hot your grill is. Remember to keep checking every couple minutes as you do not want the peppers to burn. They will be slightly crisp but still soft. Serve with the Chipotle Crema Con Sal.