Summer is here and I cannot think of a better time to head outside to enjoy a festive picnic with family and friends. Spending the day outdoors entertaining picnic style is one of my favorite past times. Picnics are meant to be low-key, relaxed with dishes that require little time in the kitchen. But less time in the kitchen doesn’t mean your food has to be boring.
Today I want to share with you one of my go-to picnic salads that is bursting with freshness, is flavorful and made with plenty of Cacique® goodness.
To maximize my time in the kitchen I keep my fridge stocked with Cacique® products that make my summer entertaining easy. I always have a few bottles of creamy Cacique® Crema Mexicana on hand that I use to marinate chicken, baste seafood with or use to make creamy dressing for salads. Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco is also one of my favorite go-to cheeses for toping tacos, tostadas or to toss into cold salads.
Today’s salad features plump grilled shrimp, roasted corn and a creamy cilantro dressing that is sure to be a hit with your family. I used roasted corn leftover from our weekend barbeque, but feel free to use frozen or add fresh peas or black beans. The shrimp is tossed in a quick marinade, grilled and tossed with cooked brown rice. You can make the creamy cilantro dressing a few days in advance and you may want to double the recipe, it is amazing plus it makes a great dipping sauce for fries or drizzled over quesadillas.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder
- 16 fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 4 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups roasted corn kernels
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (10 oz) pkg Cacique® Ranchero® Queso Fresco, diced into cubes
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Whisk olive oil, salt and ground ancho chile powder in a medium bowl. Add shrimp; toss to coat and place in fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
- While shrimp marinates make dressing by adding fresh lime juice, cilantro, salt and crema to a blender; blend until smooth and place in fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat grill pan on medium-high heat. Grill shrimp 4 minutes, turning once, or until cooked through and allow to cool.
- Once shrimp have cooled to room temperature, place cooked shrimp, cooked rice, roasted corn, diced bell pepper and cubed queso in a large mixing bowl, pour half of the creamy cilantro dressing and toss to combine. Place in fridge until ready to serve. When ready to serve, garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with additional dressing on side.