Hello grilling season! It’s time to dust off those grills, head outside and host a party on the patio. Whether you are hosting a big crowd or simply enjoying family time grilling is one of our favorite ways to cook up a great meal.
Nothing beats the aroma of juicy burgers, fajitas or grilled vegetables grilling away on the grill. When my grill reaches that perfect temperature, I like to throw an assortment of veggies on the grill rack to serve as an appetizer that we can nibble on as we wait to for the main course.
Grilled veggies make the perfect appetizer as the cook quickly, require little prep time and nothing beats that grilled flavor. Today I want to share with you a tasty grilled veggie appetizer served with a creamy chipotle dip made with Cacique Crema Mexicana, but first I’d like to share a few tips on grilling vegetables.
Before you place your vegetable on the grill brush them with a light coating of oil. I like to add flavor to my grilled vegetable by brushing them with infused olive oil, for this recipe I used garlic infused olive oil then seasoned them with salt and pepper.
Slice your vegetables in larger pieces for even grilling time. Place smaller vegetables for example mushrooms or cherry tomatoes on skewers for easier grilling. You can also use a grill pan or grill basket to avoid smaller pieces from falling though grill grates. I used a cast iron grill pan to grill my vegetables today since I was also heating tortillas for our meal.
I also grill a few extra vegetables to use for my weekly meals. I grill corn, squash, peppers, asparagus and sweet potatoes. This help me to reduce prep time during the week, so I take full advantage of the heated grill.
For today’s appetizer I grilled onions, mushrooms, zucchini and poblanos. A few minutes on the grill pan and they were ready to be plated. I made a creamy chipotle dip with Cacique Cream Mexicana, diced chipotles and fresh lime juice. Once plated I sprinkled my warm vegetable with plenty of Cacique Queso fresco, a few sprinkles of pepper, added my dip to the platter before presenting to my guests.
The spicy dip paired perfectly with the warm grilled vegetables and the queso fresco added a touch of freshness. I plan to grill all of summer’s bounty this year. I hope you join me by trying this delicious appetizer. Happy grilling!
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 Poblano chiles, sliced in half, remove seeds
- 2 onions, sliced in half
- 4 zucchini, sliced
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Cacique Queso Fresco crumbled
- For Chipotle Dip:
- 1 cup Cacique Crema Mexican
- 1 Chipotle Adobo from can, diced
- 4 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat grill. Place mushroom on skewers. Brush lightly with police oil and season with salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Grill until vegetables are tender and lightly charred on each side, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from grill, arrange on platter and garnish with crumbled queso fresco and remaining teaspoon of pepper. Serve warm with chipotle dip.
- To make chipotle dip: In a bow whisk together Cacique crema, diced chipotle, fresh lime juice, salt and pepper. Dip can be made a day in advance. Grilled vegetables can be served warm or cold.