If you ask me, one of my favorite Mexican street foods are the Huaraches. They are large corn flour ovals topped with things like beans, beef, salsa, lettuce, tomato and avocado. Plus, they are drizzled with crema and sprinkled with queso fresco. Those are my favorite toppings, but you can pretty much top them with whatever you want. Unfortunately eating those often probably isn’t the best idea. Although my palate would beg to differ. Luckily I can make a lighter version by replacing the corn flour oval with a cactus paddle, without needles of course. So, if you are in the mood to get your hands dirty, definitely try these. You won’t regret it.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 Cactus paddles, without needles
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- ½ cup refried pinto or black beans
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Cacique® Crema Mexicana Agria
- ¼ cup Cacique® Queso Fresco
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Place cactus paddles on a large skillet on medium heat. Roast until cooked through and edges begin to toast, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat.
- Spread refried beans and add shredded chicken. Top with lettuce, tomato and avocado. Drizzle with Cacique® Crema Mexicana Agria and sprinkle Cacique® Queso Fresco. Pickled jalapeños or fresh salsa on top is optional.