Thanksgiving will be arriving soon, and along with it the warm company of family and friends– as well as a feast to prepare and enjoy. Because of the many dishes that one has to prepare, it is always great to have some tasty yet easy side dish recipes handy — true aces up your sleeve — that save time to concentrate our main efforts on the turkey.
Our Loaded Mashed Potatoes is one of those dishes!
It is made with cooked, mashed red potatoes mixed with butter, seasonings, cheese, bacon, herbs, and Cacique® Crema Mexicana. And the result? Not your run-of-the-mill mashed potatoes—these are rich, creamy, and full of bold flavors!
Cacique® Crema Mexicana provides a creaminess that milk alone cannot, because it is a fresh (not cultured) pourable table cream with a slight custard flavor. It is buttery sweet and super creamy…
It is also a versatile product that can be used in all recipes that call for cream. This means you can enjoy it as a topping for fruit, as well as spooned on top of spicy, savory dishes to balance out the flavors and heat. You can even use it in your coffee, as a more natural alternative to coffee creamer…and of course, it makes all the difference in our Loaded Mashed Potatoes.
But that is not all! Cacique® also has a line of other cremas and a variety of products to enhance your Thanksgiving dishes, including its Crema Mexicana Agria and Crema Salvadoreña. For more info on Cacique® products, go to www.caciqueinc.com and for other yummy recipes, visit their Go Autentico Blog. Enjoy our Loaded Mashed Potatoes and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3 pounds red potatoes, skin on, washed, and quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus 3-4 teaspoons or enough to taste
- 4 strips thick cut smoked bacon, medium diced
- 1 ¼ cups Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups shredded Cacique® Queso Quesadilla cheese
- 3-4 Tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
- 2 strips thick cut smoked bacon
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a medium pan, place potatoes, enough water to cover, and 2 teaspoons salt. Boil over medium-high heat and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, cook the diced bacon in a medium non-stick skillet, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Heat the crema and butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Mash the potatoes while still hot with the hot crema/butter mixture.
- Stir in 3-4 teaspoons salt (or enough to taste), ground pepper, and the cheese until melted. Then, stir in the warm, cooked bacon with the rendered fat and the chopped parsley or cilantro. Garnish the top with caramelized bacon if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with heavy aluminum foil. Place a baking rack on top of the lined baking sheet and arrange the bacon slices across the rack next to each other (no overlapping). In a small bowl, whisk the maple syrup and mustard together. Brush half of the mixture over the top of the bacon strips, and bake for 12 minutes.
- Turn the bacon over and baste with the remaining syrup/mustard mixture. Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the bacon strips are crispy. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle ground black pepper on top of the bacon strips. Let the bacon rest on the rack for 5 minutes, roughly chop the strips, and garnish top of the loaded mashed potatoes with them.