Along with the changing color of the leaves, the pumpkin spice lattes and chilly nights, autumn also ushers in the all American Football season. I find this time of the year rather exciting, despite the fact that my house turns into an ESPN zone thanks to my husband and his football cohort. Sure it’s tough to ignore the white noise of the flat screen and the testosterone filled house that dwarfs the enchantment of apple ciders, flannel sheets and burning allspice candles, but I just have to keep reminding myself that it’s only for the next few months. After all, I do enjoy all the delicious foods that come with Football, whether at a tailgate party, the gastro pub or a Super Bowl party.
Sometimes on Sundays, husband and company take over the den with their fantasy football rosters in hand. I will usually order Italian Subs for the bunch from one of the best neighborhood spots known for their meatball sub sandwiches and pizzas. But after receiving Cacique’s new line of Shredded Cheeses, I couldn’t help myself very long before making the boys my Mexican Meatball Sandwiches with a Roasted Tomato and Pepper Chimichurri Sauce.
Cacique® all natural cheeses are the perfect choice for this recipe because of their authentic ingredients and taste. Adding Cacique® Queso Cotija Grated Cheese to the meat mixture lends a robust salty flavor that combines perfectly with the creamy ricotta and the Mexican spices of Cacique® Pork Chorizo. Once cooked, the meatballs are placed in baguettes and covered with Cacique® Dos Quesos Blend then popped in the oven to melt the bold and creamy combination of the Oaxacan string cheese and creamy Queso Quesadilla that has a subtle smoky jalapeno kick. The result is sublime!
Making this meatball sandwich recipe is simple, and now with Cacique’s Shredded Cheeses, it’s even easier. You can trust that Cacique® has perfected each blend for your favorite recipe, with less prep so you can improve your recipes in one easy step. It’s that simple because Cacique® makes it easy to choose their 100% authentic Mexican style cheeses which is a part of their 40 year heritage.
Using Cacique® cheese and meat products for this recipe gives the meatball sandwich a unique Mexican twist that will have your football fans cheering for more! Taste Matters…Go Auténtico!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 lb. Ground Beef
- 1 (10 oz.) package of Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- 1/2 cup Italian Style Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Cacique® Queso Cotija Grated Cheese
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Roasted Tomato & Pepper Chimichurri:
- 2 Tomatoes, rinsed and cut into quarters
- 2 Red Bell Peppers, rinsed and into halves
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 cups lightly packed Italian Parsley leaves
- 4 tablespoons White Distilled Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Sandwich Essentials:
- 5 Baguettes or Hoagie Rolls, sliced lengthwise
- 1 package of Cacique® Dos Quesos Blend Shredded Cheeses
- Pepperoncini or Pickled Vegetables, optional for garnish
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, Cacique® Pork Chorizo, bread crumbs, ricotta cheese, Cacique® Cotija Grated Cheese, garlic, and eggs. Mix gently until combined, make sure not to over work meat. Form the mixture into 15 meatballs about the size of a golf ball and place meatballs on a baking sheet. Set aside at room temperature.
- Toss tomatoes and red bell peppers with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and transfer to a cookie sheet. Place in oven and roast until tomatoes and bell peppers are soft, approximately 20 minutes. Allow tomatoes and peppers to cool down before transferring to a food processor with the garlic, parsley and vinegar. Blend until smooth. Continue to pulse while you drizzle in olive oil. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste. Set aside in a bowl.
- Lower oven heat to 350°F. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown meatballs, working in batches, turning occasionally with a spoon for about 2 minutes. Return browned meatball to baking sheet and repeat with remaining meatballs. Place baking sheet of meatballs in oven and bake until cooked through, 10-15 minutes. Cut one open to check for doneness.
- Preheat Broiler. Place 3 meatballs in the middle of a baguette or roll. Sprinkle Cacique® Dos Quesos Blend Shredded Cheese with the amount of cheesed desired. Place sandwiches on baking sheet and broil for 30 seconds to 1 minute to melt cheese, watching closely to avoid burning cheese and bread.
- Pour Roasted Tomato and Pepper Chimichurri over hoagies and serve with pepperoncini or pickled vegetables.