What can I say? I’m a little nostalgic about canned tuna. And I know it’s weird, but just opening a can and squeezing out the water can send me back in time.
My Mom made a pretty incredible Tuna Salad Sandwich. Finely diced celery and onion mixed with her homemade mayonnaise and slathered onto white bread. It was nothing fancy, but always a Friday night favorite with the family.
Then there was Tuna Casserole. You know the one. The creamy, cheesy, maybe-there-is-a-can-of-soup-mixed-in-there Tuna Fish Casserole. And in a family of eight, that skillet of steaming tuna, noodles and melting cheese was practically special occasion cuisine. Sometime in college, I was introduced to the Tuna Melt. And could there be a more perfect combination of Sandwich and Casserole? Creamy, cheesy tuna and crunchy toasted bread practically guarantee a comfort food flashback. Flash forward to these Mini Tuna Melts revved up with jalapeno, cumin, lime and two kinds of Cacique® cheese. Robust Enchilado Cheese adds extraordinary flavor to the tuna and Queso Quesadilla Cheese lends a general creaminess to the whole mouthful.
These easy to prepare, two-bite appetizers are elegant when paired with sparkling wine on Mother’s Day yet hardy enough to sacrifice to the man cave on game day.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 baguette
- 3/4 cup shredded Cacique® Enchilado cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cacique® Queso Quesadilla cheese
- 2 – 3 small tomatoes
- 12 oz can tuna in water (drained)
- 1 medium jalapeno (seeded and diced)
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- 1 TBSP chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 TBSP lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- salt and pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a large bowl, flake tuna and season with lime juice and zest, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Add jalapeno, onion and cilantro and combine well. Stir in mayonnaise. Add shredded Enchilado Cheese and combine well.
- Slice baguette into disks and place on a baking sheet. Top each baguette slice with a heaping tablespoon of the tuna mixture. Top tuna mixture with a slice of tomato. Top each tomato with shredded Queso Quesadilla.
- Bake in a preheated 375(F) oven for 10-12 minutes.