A good friend of mine started an annual tradition a few years ago where all the important woman who have made an impact in our lives get together the weekend before Mother’s Day for a potluck brunch. It’s a pre-celebration to Mother’s Day, a time where we can all come together and just relax and chat about life’s pleasures.
I thoroughly appreciate this day, and claim it as my own, because let’s face it, my Mom should be celebrated and Mother’s Day is still about her. Even though I am a Mom myself…. I’d rather dedicate the day to my Mama. So that’s why I don’t mind celebrating it twice…I’m sorry, I got sidetracked, back to the potluck. Since there are only women invited to this day of eating and exchanging thoughts, the menu tends to have lots of healthy varieties and a few sweet indulgences.
This year I have signed up to bring a frittata. Women love this classic egg dish, and especially when it is loaded with veggies and Cacique® Cotija cheese. I take it a step further and add in Cacique® Crema Mexicana to the egg batter, and top the entire frittata in grated Cacique® Oaxaca Cheese. I couldn’t wait till the Mother’s Day celebration to sink my teeth into this delectable dish, so I gave my eggs a good whipping this past weekend and this was the results: Mushroom Leek Mexican Cheese Frittata! It was so easy to make and even better can all be made in one pan. I used a oven proof non stick pan, and started by sautéing my veggies in the pan, then once they were cooked to perfection I added in the egg batter and cheese. Popped that same pan in the oven at 350 and just baked it till the eggs set and the edges browned slightly for about 25 minutes. Get some. Serve it to your Mamma. That wasn’t a joke. ☺
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 – tablespoons butter
- 1 – cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 – cup leeks (sliced)
- 1 – cup cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- 3 – garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 – cup Cacique® Cotija cheese (crumbled)
- 12 – eggs (separate whites from the yolk)
- 1/2 – cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 – cup grated Cacique® Oaxaca cheese
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a 10 inch non stick oven proof pan, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over a medium flame. Add in sliced leeks and sauté for 10 minutes. Add in mushrooms and continue to sauté for an additional 7 minutes. Add in cherry tomatoes and let cook for another 5 minutes. Set veggies to the side.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt additional tablespoon of butter in the pan. Swirl so the butter greases the sides as well. Place the veggies back in the pan, and top with garlic, and cotija cheese. Set to the side.
- In a bowl mix egg yolks and crema Mexicana until combined.
- In a mixer with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they peak. Mix in the egg yolk/crema mixture and completely incorporate the two.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pan over the veggies. Sprinkle the top with Oaxaca cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until eggs set but are still a bit trembling. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting.