When our family does “Meatless Monday” or a vegetarian night, we want to eat healthily, but we don’t want to feel like we’re depriving ourselves. We look for a meal that’s hearty, robust, and tasty – and these Panela Black Bean Quinoa wraps with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette definitely fit the bill.
I especially love the way the Cacique® Panela cheese holds this dish together. It’s a curd-style crumbly cheese, but it holds its shape very well so you can make the pieces as big or as small as you want. It also has a very mild creaminess – with just the slightest tang – so it’s appealing to both adults and kids.
I like to get kids involved in the process, so for this recipe, I had the kids mixing the beans, quinoa, and cheese; whisking together the ingredients for the vinaigrette, rolling up the tortillas, and drizzling the Crema Mexicana. In fact, aside from cooking the quinoa, you could probably put them in charge of just about everything in this recipe. If you can get them to do the dishes too – bonus!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 ounces Cacique® Panela cheese (1/2 of a wheel), crumbled
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Juice of two limes
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 3 large sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 6 large tortillas
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 4 T. Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Add the quinoa, return to a boil, and then cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid is fully absorbed and quinoa is tender. When the quinoa is cooked, fluff it and let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Scoop the quinoa into a bowl with the black beans and cheese.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, salt, honey, and cilantro in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa/black bean/cheese mixture and stir to combine.
- On a flat workspace, lay out a large tortilla. Cover it with a large handful of spinach. Place two to three large scoops of quinoa filling on to the bed of spinach. Carefully roll up the tortilla, folding in the ends burrito-style, being careful to keep the filling firmly tucked in to the tortilla. Drizzle the tortilla with the Crema Mexicana. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
- Repeat step 4 for the remaining tortillas. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until serving.