This appetizer is almost sinful. Waffle cut french fries, chunks of pan seared Cacique® Panela Cheese and topped with chipotle creme and cilantro. That’s right, I said pan-seared Panela, because this is a cheese that tastes amazing straight from the pack, but you can cook it too. Just cut the Panela into cubes and sear in a hot pan with some olive oil. The cheese cooks fast so about 20 seconds on each side is all it needs. The surface has an amazing smoky flavor but the inside stays creamy and soft. It takes a whole bunch of willpower to not keep snacking on just the seared cubes of Panela, they’re so tasty!
This snack reminds me of food you might get at some of the awesome food trucks available. Served in a paper cone , some people might think it’s on the small side. But once you see all of the Panela and fries crammed into that little space, you’ll be more than surprised. The drizzle of Cacique® Crema Mexicana mixed with some chipotle chili pepper gives it a nice spicy kick, and the cilantro is a heavenly herb for this kind of snack.
You can easily use frozen fries for this recipe, there’s some really good ones available and it saves a lot of time.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Cook the waffle fries as per the manufacturers instructions.
- Cut the Panela cheese into cubes about 1/2 inch square.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over a medium to high heat. Place some of the cubes into the oil and cook for about 20 seconds or until you see the middle become soft. Using tongs, turn the cheese over and repeat the process. Once the cheese has a nice golden sear, transfer to a plate. Cook the remaining cheese cubes until done.
- Mix the chipotle powder with the crema.
- Once the fries are ready, fill a paper cone or cup halfway with fries and then some of the cheese cubes. Fill with some more fries and then top with extra cheese. Season with some salt and pepper. Drizzle some of the crema over the fries and then garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve at once with a fork.