Pancakes are always a big deal in our home. They are considered celebration food because they are served on weekend mornings for someone’s birthday, holiday or a special milestone has been reached.
Yogurt and buttermilk pancakes are extra fluffy and so delicious in comparison to the boxed stuff. They only take just a few minutes more to prepare and the results are worth the extra minutes in your kitchen.
These pancakes are so much fun to prepare because I used Cacique® Yogurt Smoothies. Cacique’s Yogurt Smoothies come in a variety of flavors, so your pancakes can be customized with your favorite smoothie flavor. From pecan to strawberry to mango, you choose the flavor and toppings for your special pancakes.
I was feeling tropical and in need of a vacation, so I decided to create a tropical paradise breakfast spread. To top my piña colada pancakes, I also made a creamy tropical sauce with Cacique® Crema Mexicana, pineapples and their juice, coconut and rum to drizzle over the fluffy pancakes. For the kid-friendly version, use rum extract and serve with a side of pineapple or mango juice.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 (7 ounces each) Cacique® Yogurt Smoothies Piña Colada flavor
- Piña colada crema:
- ½ cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple slices in 100% pineapple juice, chopped, reserve liquid
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 ½ tablespoons dark rum, or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Maple syrup
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray or grapeseed oil spray. Preheat skillet over low-medium heat.
- In a large bowl combine all pancake ingredients. Mix with a hand mixer at medium to high speed until all ingredients have combined.
- Pour ½ cup batter on skillet and cook for 45 seconds on each side or until medium brown. Repeat until all batter has been used. Serve with piña colada crema, pineapple chunks, toasted coconut and maple syrup
- In a medium bowl, combine Cacique® Crema Mexicana, juice from canned pineapple, coconut extract and rum. Whisk to combine. Drizzle over pancakes and top with chopped pineapple and toasted coconut.
- Tip: Toast sweetened shredded coconut on a non-stick pan over low-medium heat. Shake pan frequently to avoid burning or stir with a large wooden spoon; about 5 minutes or until the shredded coconut is golden brown.