When it comes to summer food, I love when it looks impressive but is actually easy. And these Pork-Chorizo Potato Skins fit the bill!
Summer is the perfect time for families to plan fun outings, barbecues, picnics, etc. But keeping up with summertime is anything but easy, between work, activities to keep the kids busy, and making some summertime memories, there is no time to spend hours cooking. During busy summer days, easy and quick recipes are extremely helpful and convenient, so I can spend more time enjoying my family!
Picnicking is one of my favorite summer activities. I love pulling out our picnic blanket and heading to our community park to have lunch with friends. My kids love eating outside. Playing in the summer sun with good friends. And of course, we’ll need some lunch to sustain all that relaxing!
Sandwiches are the most popular food for picnics. But guess what…My kids does not like sandwiches. How weird is that? Anyway. That gives me an opportunity to explore my creative side, which I love! Beside, who wants to eat a boring sandwich if you can have one, or two, or even three, of these mouthwatering Pork-Chorizo Potato Skins? They are very easy to make, full of flavor, and they transport well, just wrap them with aluminum foil to keep them warm.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 8 ounces fresh (raw) Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 6 medium Russet (or any other baking) potatoes, scrubbed well
- 1 1/2 cup Cacique® Queso Quesadilla Cheese, shredded
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions, green peppers and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add ground pork and chorizo. Cook breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until just cooked through. Add cumin, paprika, salt and black pepper; mix well. Let cook for 5 – 8 more minutes, or until well browned.
- Prick each potato 2 to 3 times with a fork. Place them in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Turn potatoes over then microwave for a further 3 - 4 minutes, or until just cooked and tender. Remove from microwave. Cool the potatoes until they are safe to handle.
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out centers, leaving 1/2-inch-thick layer of cooked potato on skins. Place the potatoes on a baking tray, skin side down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fill the potatoes with an equal amount of pork-chorizo mixture and top with cheese.
- reheat the broil. Bake for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden. Transfer skins to platter. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.