Celebrations are a huge part of our family and it seems like over time, our celebrations only get bigger each time, because there truly is so much to celebrate within life. Whether we find ourselves celebrating birthdays or hosting a celebration to remember those who have gone before us, it’s always a key time to reflect and remember our loved ones. We always choose our celebration based around a theme that our loved one enjoyed (or enjoys).
As we near Día de los Muertos which is a holiday celebrated in Mexico, Central & South America, as well as in many Mexican and Central American communities, we want to celebrate with a family-favorite Mexican-themed meal, inspired by our travels while visiting a loved one who has gone before us. Pork & Rice Street Cart Style Tacos has evolved over time within our family as a sweet memory and celebration. These easy and quick Street Cart Style Tacos are a hit, super quick to whip up and a recipe that you’ll find yourself going to for celebrations.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Cacique® Pork Chorizo
- Cacique® Cotija Cheese
- Cacique® Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¾ tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cups of long grain white rice
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- Flour tortillas
- Tortilla chips (optional)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Make the rice: Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to a sauce pan and heat it. Add turmeric, cumin and rice and toast together for a minute, stirring. Add the broth and salt. ring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to its lowest setting. Cover with a lid and let cook for about 15 minutes, until all of the broth has absorbed. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes before serving.
- While the rice is cooking, cook your pork chorizo according to the package directions.
- Chop your onion, tomato, cilantro, and lettuce. Mix all of these ingredients together to create a salad.
- To finish and serve. Place your rice on the bottom of your flour tortilla topped with approx ¼ cup of chorizo and your salad mix. Drizzle Cacique® Cilantro Lime Sour Cream on top. Serve with tortilla chips, optional.