Gelatinas are always a welcomed treat in my culture. Anytime there is a gathering of family or friends there is bound to be a gelatina following close behind. It always makes it’s grand entrance into the fiesta or sits proud on the dessert table waiting to be cut so it could wiggle and jiggle from plate to mouth. The posadas (from Dec. 16th to Dec 24th) are no exception when it comes to the gelatina rule. In addition to the piñata, buñuelos, ponche, aguinaldos, and tamales…There must be a posada gelatina to make the celebration complete.
I make my posada gelatina with Cacique’s Crema Mexicana to make sure I get an extra creamy texture. I also use the best secret weapon in town, Cacique’s Yogurt Smoothie in Piña Colada flavor for an unexpected burst of flavor that cannot be achieved with gelatin powder alone. Not only does this gelatina taste amazing, it also looks beautiful representing the colors of Mexico and Navidad all at the same time!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 12 ounces red jello powder (2 boxes – I used cherry)
- 5 – unflavored gelatin powder envelopes (I used 4 individual Knox envelopes) (about 5 tablespoons)
- 14 – cups boiling water
- 18 – ounces green jello powder (3 boxes – I used lime)
- non-stick spray
- 10 – ounces coconut flavored gelatin powder
- 1 – jar Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 14 – ounces Cacique® Yogurt Smoothie Piña Colada (2 bottles)
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a 9x13 glass baking dish mix 12 ounces (2 boxes) of red jello powder with 1 unflavored envelope to combine. Then pour in 3 cups of boiling hot water over powder mixture. Using a fork mix to dissolve powder completely. Place in the fridge for 4 hours to set.
- At the very same time the red jello is setting. In an additional 9x13 glass baking dish mix 12 ounces (2 boxes) of green jello powder with 1 unflavored envelope to combine. Then pour in 3 cups of boiling hot water over powder mixture. Using a fork mix to dissolve powder completely. Place in the fridge for 4 hours to set along with red jello.
- Once both green and red jello is set, remove them from fridge and run a knife all along the edges of the baking dishes, carefully remove the entire slabs of jello from the baking dishes and with a small cookie cutter cut out your shape of choice (I used a star). You will have plenty of scraps left over to enjoy any way you please.
- Spray a 14 cup bundt pan with non stick spray. Then place alternating red and green jello stars at the bottom of the bundt pan. Set to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl add 10oz coconut flavored gelatin powder with 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin powder, mix together to combine. Once combined add in 6 cups of boiling hot water and mix to dissolve powder completely. Then add in 1 jar Cacique’s Crema Mexicana. Whisk to combine.
- Pour half of the hot mixture into the bundt pan over the red and green stars. Reserve the other half of coconut jello mixture for the next step allowing it to cool at room temperature.
- Place the bundt pan in the fridge and allow to set for 45 minutes to an hour. Remove bundt pan from fridge and add in more red and green jello stars. Push them against the side of the pan. Then carefully pour in the remaining coconut jello mixture that should now be cooled down to room temperature. Place the bundt pan back in the fridge for an hour.
- In a large bowl add 1 box green jello and 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin powder and mix to combine. Add in 2 cups boiling water and mix until powder is dissolved completely. Then add in 14 – ounces Cacique® Yogurt Smoothie Piña Colada (2 bottles) and whisk to combine. It will be a light green color. Set to the side and allow to cool for 25 minutes.
- Remove bundt pan from the fridge and pour light green jello mixture over the set coconut jello. Place the bundt pan back in the fridge and allow to set for 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove bundt pan from the fridge and using your fingertips gently pull the jello away from the edges of the pan. Do the same for the middle. You can even run a knife closely along the edge. Then invert jello mold onto a plate. Decorate with berries or left over jello star scraps. Cut and enjoy!