Every brunch has to include veggies in one way or another, right? Well, we have them wrapped in yummy Mexican cheese, savory pancetta, and then we add a little natural sweetness to bring all the flavors together. These are great served as an appetizer or side dish.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 frozen puff pastry Sheet, thawed according to package directions
- 1/4 cup Cacique Cotija, grated
- 1/4 cup Cacique Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 2 tbsp pure honey
- 1 small bunch asparagus (about 1/2lb), woody ends removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices pancetta (alternatively use nitrate-free ham)
- zest from one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg, plus 1 tbsp water for egg wash
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking tray with some parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry sheet out to a large square, about twice its size. Cut into 6 equal squares.
- In a small bowl combine the cotija and queso fresco cheeses and stir well. Brush the puff pastry sheets with the egg wash. Spoon the cheese mixture evenly between the 6 Sheets and spread it with the back of the spoon. Drizzle the honey on top of the cheese mixture
- Place a slice of pancetta on top of the cheese mixture, followed by about 3 asparagus spears and a little sprinkle of lemon zest. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and use a pastry brush to brush over the asparagus. Salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap the pancetta around the asparagus, then wrap the puff pastry. Make sure the puff pastry is overlapping and press down a little bit to ensure it sticks. Brush the puff pastry with some more egg wash, pop on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden and puffed. Serve immediately.