For Las Posadas I always offer Mexican favorites, like tamales, sopes, pozole, ponche and atole, but this time I want to add Queso Fresco Potato Tacos Dorados to the menu. I’d like to serve them garnished with shredded lettuce, crema mexicana, and a side of creamy spicy tomatillo guacamole.
These Queso Fresco Potato Tacos Dorados are made with creamy mashed potatoes, Cacique® Queso Fresco and Crema Mexicana. The combination of these two ingredients is what makes the tacos dorados so authentic and the perfect bite. In my kitchen we always have Cacique® products as well as potatoes, avocados and tortillas, all easy products you can find almost everywhere.
Las Posadas are a Mexican tradition that celebrates our beliefs and culture. These are daily community gatherings that start December 16 and end on December 24. The purpose of these daily celebrations is to prepare us to the arrival of El Niño Dios or Baby Jesus. And while this is a Christian gathering, it is also the opportunity for the community to share their favorite dishes, break the piñatas, giveaway colación, or Mexican Christmas candies to the kids.
These parties are a fabulous memory that I have from growing up and now every year I love to organize a Posada on Christmas Eve. My Cuban family didn’t know about Las Posadas, but after the first one they celebrated now they expect the Martin Posada to happen the day before Christmas every year.
It is so much fun to invite the neighbors, friends and family to come and sing, join the procession with lit candles and then open to doors wide open of our home to receive everyone and feast and embracing my Latin traditions.
I invite you to try Queso Fresco Potato Tacos Dorados and start new memories and traditions organizing your own Posada at home.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 4 cups of mashed potatoes
- 2 cups of crumbled Cacique® Queso Fresco
- 1 teaspoon of granulated chicken bouillon
- 1 cup of Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 14 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup of frying oil
- 2 cups of shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 bowl of spicy guacamole
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Combine the mashed potatoes with the Cacique® Queso Fresco and the Cacique® Crema Mexicana and combine. Season with the chicken bouillon and set aside. Stuff the tortillas with 2 tablespoons of the mashed potatoes each and fold.
- Fry the tacos until golden brown and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Garnish the tacos with shredded lettuce and serve with spicy tomatillo guacamole.
- To make guacamole: 6 tomatillos, 4 Serrano chiles, 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro, 2 avocados, 1/2 cup of Cacique® Crema Mexicana, salt to taste. Place all ingredients in the blender, mix and keep refrigerated.
- Cook's note: You can use leftover mashed potatoes for this recipe. It is recommended to use thick corn tortillas for better results.