The last month of my life has been a crazy one. We recently moved into a new house. I am completely exhausted from cleaning, packing, and lugging around boxes. I am so ready to sit back and enjoy our new home and especially my brand-new kitchen. I haven’t cooked in almost a month, because I have been so preoccupied with so many other things. I was missing having a good home cooked meal, but my time these days has been so limited.
This week I just couldn’t take it anymore and whipped up a super easy asparagus soup for lunch. My daughter came home from school and I literally had nothing prepared for her to eat. So. I made this soup in less than 30 minutes and she was so happy for a home cooked meal that filled her tummy like warm sunshine. If you are pressed on time, you can make this too for a good lunch or pre-dinner soup.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 10 ounces asparagus, washed and patted dry
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons butter or ghee
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Cacique Crema Mexican Agria
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cacique shredded cheese of your choice
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Removed the bottoms of the asparagus stalks (about 1 inch). In a large saucepan, combine broth and asparagus stalks and cook over low-medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover and remove from heat.
- In the meantime, melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, slowly whisk in flour until ingredients have incorporated. Purée broth with asparagus until well mixed. Strain and add the asparagus puree to the pot with the butter mixture. Stir in slowly to avoid forming lumps. Then add the Cacique Crema Mexican Agria, salt, pepper and bring to boil, about 5 minutes and remove from heat. Serve in a bowl and top with your favorite Cacique shredded cheese.
- Cook’s Note: I like to top my Asparagus soup with different types of Cacique cheeses. My favorites are crumbled Queso Panela or shredded Cacique Enchilado, but you can definitely top with any Cacique cheese you prefer.