There is something very comforting about rice and there is something very comforting about sweet potato. Add them both to tacos and you have a fantastic comfort food recipe. It is so easy to put together and can be made anytime. It is my philosophy that good comfort food is something that requires few ingredients and can be made anytime.
Comfort food that takes only a few ingredients and comes together easily is a perennial favorite in our home. Sweet potatoes and rice can always be found in our pantry and cheese is always sitting pretty in the fridge. It won’t surprise me if you have the same ingredients in your kitchen on any given day. So, I thought it would be great to have a quick taco recipe with ingredients easily found in anyone’s kitchen.
A few years ago, we started a tradition of Taco Tuesday! Since we are huge fans of Latin cuisine, we thought it was only natural to have one day dedicated to tacos. It turned out to be the best idea ever! We have tried all kinds of ingredients in a taco. Our favorite taco recipe was curried tofu and fajitas. It was absolutely delicious!
This taco recipe calls for black beans, taco seasoning, brown rice, sweet potatoes and salsa. Those are the 5 ingredients in the tacos that I had. I also had some green bell pepper lying around, so, I added that too. If you have other ingredients like onions, scallions, jalapeno, tomatoes and any other delicious item, throw it in there too. It will only enhance the taste of the tacos.
The one unique item I added to this recipe was Horchata. It is a delicious rice drink that is so good for the body. It doesn’t dry out the rice after the cooking process and adds a little cinnamon aroma to the recipe.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 cups of brown rice, cooked
- 1 Sweet Potato, medium sized
- 1 cup of black beans, canned
- 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning
- ½ cup salsa, canned/jarred chunky
- 2 teaspoon of lime juice, freshly squeezed (optional)
- ½ cup of Cacique® Queso Fresco, crumbled
- ¼ cup of Cacique® Original Horchata, chilled
- 5 Taco shells
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Thoroughly wash the sweet potato and dry it with a paper towel. Spray the outside of the potato with cooking spray or use olive oil to baste it. Poke a few holes in the sweet potato and cover it with foil. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- When you can easily put a knife through the potato, it is done. Remove the sweet potato and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- While the sweet potato is cooling, add the horchata into a medium pan and heat it at very low heat. Add the remaining ingredients (except the Queso Fresco) to the same pan and mix well.
- Cut the baked sweet potato into bite sized pieces. Add them to the rice mixture and mix gently.
- Warm the taco shells for about 30 seconds in the oven, which should still be warm after baking the sweet potato. Fill the taco with the rice and sweet potato mixture. Top with Cacique® Queso Fresco cheese. Serve with sour cream and enchilada sauce mixture.