It’s almost time for meatless Fridays! My family observes Lent every year so it’s time I start looking for meatless recipes. A scrumptious, gooey and cheesy Mac and cheese is the king of all food comfort foods. This version is pretty quick to make and this recipe has two awesome ingredients that makes it extra yummy: Cacique® Soy Chorizo and Shrimp. Perfect combination, right? I think so!
I can almost guarantee this mac and cheese will become your new favorite recipe. You can definitely make it all year long, not only for Lent season. It’s the perfect recipe to feed a crowd so if you’re hosting a gathering, this macaroni and cheese casserole will be a winner. Plus, it’s a money saver! You can prepare it a day ahead and just add the topping right before you serve. Just be sure to bake at least 20-30 minutes until bubbly hot if starting cold.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 12 once box of pasta, cooked and drained (follow the package instructions)
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 9-ounce package of Cacique® Soy Chorizo
- 1 10-ounce Cacique® Manchego Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Cacique® Four Quesos Blend
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the topping:
- 4 tablespoon Cacique® Soy Chorizo, browned and cooked through
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup Cacique® Four Quesos Blend
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In large skillet heat oil on medium, add chorizo and cook for 2 minutes or until crisp. Remove 4 tablespoons of soy chorizo and set aside for topping. Add shrimp and cook for two minutes, but do not cooked through. Place shrimp in a bowl to cool.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Gradually whisk in milk and half-and-half. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and until thickened. Stir in Cacique® Manchego Cheese and Cacique® Four Quesos Blend into milk mixture until blended. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Stir the chorizo and shrimp mixture and macaroni until well combined. Make the topping by mixing the melted butter with the panko. Spoon the macaroni mixture into prepared baking dish and top with Cacique® Four Quesos Blend and panko mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until hot in center and bubbly. Sprinkle on chopped parsley and serve while hot.