One of the rites of passage for any kid who loves to cook is the day when your parents teach you how to use the stovetop on your own. My favorite after-school snack from that day forward, and for the next few years, was anything that involved heating up tortillas all by myself—everything from quesadillas to mini pizzas.
This recipe is a spin on one of my favorite childhood after-school snacks, with a little extra zing from adobo sauce now that I’m grown up and have a more refined palate. Since the recipe calls for adobo sauce and not the chipotle chiles themselves, the pizza sauce is only slightly spicy.
These skinny tortilla cheese pizzas are the perfect snack for celebrating National Cheese Pizza Day on September 5 with a Mexican twist, or any day you want to make a snack that won’t spoil dinner. They’re so easy and quick to make that the kids can even make them on their own, with some supervision from mom or dad for the part that involves the stove and oven broiler.
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 2 flour tortillas, 7.5 or 8-inch diameter
- 1 cup Cacique® Dos Quesos Blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotle chiles (but leave the peppers out)
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
HOW TO MAKE IT
- In a small bowl, mix ¼ cup tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano and ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt. Stir well to incorporate all ingredients and set aside.
- On a warm comal, heat the flour tortillas until slightly crispy on each side. This will prevent the sauce from making the tortillas soggy.
- On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, place the tortillas side by side and spread half of the tomato sauce on each tortilla. Spread the sauce thinly and leave a little bit of an edge for the crust of the pizza. Sprinkle 1/2 cup Cacique® Dos Quesos Blend shredded cheese over each pizza.
- Place the baking sheet under a low broiler for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starts to get some light brown spots. Remove from oven, cut with a pizza cutter and serve.