As soon as the clock strikes midnight on Mother’s Day, I’m already bringing up Father’s Day in the conversation. Okay, it does sound a tad selfish but I always make sure my wife has an awesome Mother’s Day and she lovingly reciprocates when dad’s day rolls around.
I cook every day for the family so for Father’s Day we’ll usually all go out for breakfast or brunch, but I love it when someone cooks dinner for me. It’s a great feeling to just kick back, relax and watch other people in my kitchen. It doesn’t have to be an elaborate dinner, sometimes simple is better and these easy skirt steak tacos are one of my favorite things to eat. Skirt steak tastes great after being cooked over a high heat on the grill. Just season it with your favorite rub and cook for about 4 minutes per side. I like my steak medium rare but you can cook yours longer if you prefer it more well done.
The toppings are almost as important as the meat. Salsa is a must have as is cheese, and Cacique® Cotija Cheese is the perfect choice. It has a mild salty flavor and crumbles just like Feta cheese, you can add it to salads, burgers or just eat it on its own and it has so much flavor so a little goes a long way! I also love fresh cilantro on my tacos and once I have all three of these flavors together- and maybe an ice cold beer- I’m a very happy person. Finish the whole dish with a drizzle of the amazing avocado crema. This sauce is so simple but the Cacique® Crema Mexicana has a distinct flavor that I prefer over regular sour cream, and it only has four ingredients!
I can’t wait for Father’s Day and these skirt steak tacos, I must remember to make sure my wife reads this post!
Note: Click the ‘Products‘ tab above to learn more about the Cacique® ingredients used in this recipe. You can find these ingredients near you by clicking the ‘Find Stores‘ tab, selecting the products you are looking for, and entering your zip code.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 3/4- 1 pound lean skirt steak
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite meat rub
- 12 small 6 inch tortillas
- 1 cup crumbled Cacique® Cotija Cheese
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Fresh salsa
- 1 whole avocado
- 2/3 cup Cacique® Crema Mexicana
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Preheat your grill to a high heat. Season both sides of the skirt steak
- Place the steak onto the grill and cook without moving for 4-5 minutes.Turn the meat over and repeat. Transfer the steak to a plate, cover with foil and let rest.
- Place the tortillas on the grill and cook for about 20-30 seconds on each side, just enough to char the edges.
- Using a sharp knife slice the skirt steak across the grain into thin strips. Place two tortillas on top of each other. Place some of the steak onto the tortilla followed by the cheese, avocado and salsa. Garnish with fresh cilantro some of the avocado crema drizzled on top, serve at once.